Thursday, March 1, 2007

the thorn

I found this wonderful little poem on a friends blog. She shared this with her readers as it had encouraged her heart. Well it encouraged mine, may it do the same for you..

The Thorn

I stood a mendicant (beggar) of God
before His royal throne
And begged Him for a priceless gift,
which i could call my own.
I took the gift from out His hand,
but as I would depart,
I cried, "But Lord this is a thorn
and it has pierced my heart.'
This is a strange, a hurtful gift
that Thou hast given me."
He said, 'My child, I give good gifts
and give my best to thee.'
I took it home and though at first,
the cruel thorne hurt severe;
As long years passed I learned at last
to love it more and more.
I learned He never gives a thorne
without this added grace...
He takes the thorn to pin aside...
the veil which hides His face.
-Martha Snell Nicholson

No comments: