Friday, June 8, 2007

Encouragment

A response to share... This is an email we received from one of my favorite speakers, how helpful and encouraging. He is a pastor at a sister Sovereign Grace church in Wales. His message on "The Ministry of Comfort" (click the link to listen to this message) has helped us greatly dunning this time. Peter's words never cease to comfort, encourage, remind, strengthen and challenge our hearts, may they do the same for you~
~~~~~~~~~
Dear Luke and Kriscinda,I’ve just read your update on care pages (I’ve been following them all and praying for you continually) and felt that this would be a good time to write; although I must admit I’m struggling with what I can say that can help you in this present distress. I really wanted you to know that although we are many miles away, I am carrying you all in my heart and prayers.Unless our Father does a remarkable miracle, which I’ve seen happen, then it looks as though your little man may be off on a wonderful journey very soon. I’ve never experienced the loss of a child, so I cannot even begin to comprehend what you may be going through; but I have cared for both my parents and a few good friends through their final months, weeks and hours... and although what you are experiencing is far greater than that, the temptations we face and the truths we cling to are the same. If God should do that miracle, then the following words are not needed; but should that not happen, then I just wanted to share some thoughts that I truly hope are a help and not an addition to your burden.I remember when my Father was dying of a brain tumor. I had been doing well through it all and was experiencing much grace, but every now and then was overwhelmed with both the trauma of watching him suffer and the challenge of unbelief that at moments would almost rob me of my faith and peace. As you watch Micah, I’m aware you are deeply concerned that he doesn’t suffer; that’s only natural, especially for a parent. But as you look at your little man, you must remember that he will be experiencing a measure of grace that is both different to yours and in some ways, greater. You need have no fear that he will be overwhelmed by any trauma, for whatever our Father may take with one hand, He gives far more with the other. When we suffer with someone, our sufferings are often in excess of theirs, because we’re not receiving what they are from the Lord. This is true; and I trust you can encourage yourselves with this; your little boy will not be forsaken in his greatest hours of need, but saturated in grace from the Father of Lights. Our Savior was forsaken by His Father on the cross so that Micah may not be.There have been a few times in my life where certain situations have caused me to ask the question “is this all real or am I just trying to convince myself that there is a good God who works all things for my good and His glory?” At one of these times I remember standing outside in my garden grappling with this temptation. As I looked up I saw the stars, and the constellation Orion was directly above me. I remembered at that moment God’s question to Job whilst he was going though unimaginable trials: “Can you undo Orion’s belt?”What a comfort it was to know that the God who created the stars was the one who used those very stars to remind Job, and me, that although I can’t begin to fathom ‘why’, there is a glorious, kind, compassionate, caring God behind everything that takes place in my life and in the life of those I love. If what I believed was not true, then nothing is true; if there is no good God, then nothing has any meaning at all. My existence is just an accident, my love for my children just a chemical reaction designed to perpetrate the species...though with no purpose; my joys, loves, fears and hopes all an irrelevant waste of time. If God is not who He says He is, then Micah’s passing away, should that happen soon, ultimately is also another meaningless occurrence in an empty cosmos, which would make your grief meaningless too. But, if God is who He says He is, if His Word is true, as we believe it is, then we can truly know, without doubt, that what happens to us and those we love will really, truly be for our ultimate good. These are hard words to write to you with all that you’re experiencing; they must be even harder to read, but it’s truth that will hold you though this time...and his Word is the only real truth in the universe. Romans 8:28 is either the truth or it’s a lie...there can be no other option. It is the truth. For the moment, you embrace this truth by faith...and you are doing that so wonderfully. I sense both God’s compassion for you and pleasure in you. But know this, a day will come when we will no longer believe because of faith, but we will know because of sight... ‘we will know even as we have been known’. On that day, which may seem a long way off, but in reality will be upon us in the blink of an eye, we will look back through all He has done in our lives and say “You have done all things well”, and then you will have the whole of eternity to enjoy your little man.I trust these words may strengthen your soul, but there are no words that I can say that will remove the grief that you will go through if Micah is to go to be with the Lord. It will come in waves, but you will be carried through the waves. You will continue to have my heartfelt prayer and love...may God bless you; especially Micah.With deep affection,Pete Greasley

1 comment:

Sara said...

Dear Davis Family,

Although we have never met I have been praying for your family daily and for "Little Man". I cannot even begin to imagine your pain. I too have a three yr old little boy and have been encouraged by your faith and joy during this intense trial. Thank you for glorifying God and for being an example of the gospel to so many. I will continue to pray for you and for little Micah. Love, Sara Anderson